Monday, July 27, 2015

Here's To Those Heroes


I've always been a fan of the concept of being a hero or just having one in life. It all starts when you're a kid, and you say things like "my dad is a hero!" You grow up and admire the superheroes of comics and movies like Spiderman and Wonder Woman. And then it's followed by the famous people who have made history like Martin Luther King Jr., a man who fought for civil rights and wrote the famous speech called I have a dream. These people are not just in the past, we can see them today too. I think the best example is Caitlyn Jenner, who came out as a transgender woman last April. For many people, she's considered a role model, an inspiration... a hero.
Just like everyone else, I've had my heroes. My parents were the first ones, then my grandma, Spiderman when I was a teenager, and I'm pretty sure I've called my dog a hero from time to time. As I've written this post, I've wondered if I have a hero right now, and I don't. I have role models, but that's as close as it gets; however, I've met people, who I say to myself "that's a hero right there."
Today I want to talk about a man named Dave Lyon, who was completely devoted to his wife Judy. She had Huntington's disease, a neurodegenerative disorder that affects brain and body. Taking care of a loved one who's sick with a cold or a stomach ache can be a nice thing to do. Taking care of a loved one who loses herself and depends a 100% on her partner it's a completely different story. Dave was there for his wife from day one and never left her side. 
Maybe you've been in a similar situation, or you've heard a story like this one. If you have, you know it's not an easy thing to do. There are good days, bad days, and days when you just feel like giving up. You try to be strong, but it gets harder with time when you see the one you love being in real pain. 
I don't know about you, but, for me, Dave is a hero and a perfect example of human being. I admire him not only because he was always there to take care of Judy, but because he always had a smile for her. It didn't matter how hard it got, he never wanted to give up on her. And that, people, is amazing.

The documentary The Inheritance tells the story about Judy battling Huntington's disease. It was made by her daughter Bridget Lyon and her partner Jeff McDonald, and it was part of The New Zealand Film Festival. I totally recommend watching it, just like I recommend celebrating the heroes of yesterday, today, and tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment